PRESS RELEASE Updated: 5/21/20
Links to past editorial coverage
Here are some recent/current items of interest, possible spring boards for feature stories:
- Portrait of Judge Ray Steib presented to the 24th Judicial District Court in Metairie, LA 9-18-19
- Portrait of Russell Ebeid presented at St Joseph’s Hospital in Pontiac, MI 10-29-18
- VINCENT JOHN DOE Robert produced his a multi-media, multi-disciplinary play about Vincent Van Gogh, part of Piccolo Spoletto 2019 and 2018, including live music and actual live painting as part of the dramatic, heart wrenching story. Performed in the beautiful new Canon Street Playhouse (2019) and City Gallery (2018). See Acting bio for more about Robert’s acting career.
- ARTIST IN RESIDENCE at Uncork Charleston, Upper King’s newest hot spot. More that 15 works by Robert Maniscalco, hung throughout. Occasional Pop-up Painting Demonstrations. Uncork Charleston is at 476 King Street in the heart of where its at.
- Appeared in Neil Simon’s Rumors at SOBT – Produced by 5th Wall See Acting bio for more about Robert’s acting career.
- Courtroom Sketch Artist for the Dylann Roof and Slagger trials. His experiences led to a number of prophetic blogs and international coverage, on his efforts to be both artist and journalist.
- LIVE STREAMING into hundreds of senior centers and learning centers, bringing real art instruction and creativity to people, where they live.
- THE QUENCH PROJECT was inspired by Robert’s vision trip to Haiti in 2014. He has produced a body of paintings, published a full color book and created a 22 minute documentary, focused on desire and the absurdity of wealth inequality.
- Art Classes and Workshops are going on all the time.
- ARTFIELDS 2014. Robert won the portrait competition from a field of 24 top artists in the region in Lake City, SC on May 2. Over the years, his paintings have also been a standout in the ARTFIELDS competition.
- Jailbreak 2014 – featured artist
- Portrait Painting demo at Charleston Artists Guild and other area art guilds, along with a portrait painting workshop annually.
- Active Blogging about art/creativity/instruction and world views, available for reprinting or as springboard/inspiration for your next article.
- Charleston Artbeat coming to the Holy City. See ARTBEAT below.
- Re-releasing The Fishfly and Point of Art – Second Edition in paperback and on Kindle.
- Releasing both seasons of Detroit ART BEAT (Season One is now available on Amazon Prime), which ran for two glorious seasons on Detroit PBS from 2003-2005.
- Now offering Brush with Wine Painting Parties at the Maniscalco Studio.
- Starring in “Catania,” a feature film competing in Festivals Spring of 2014.
- Rob’s late father, Joesph Maniscalco and he each have five portraits hanging in the halls of justice in Lansing, Michigan in the Michigan Supreme Court. Robert’s latest will be presented in 2014 (TBA) of the former Chief Justice, Marilyn Kelly.
- Became an advocate for survivors of CSA and its prevention in November 2010 as a male survivor of child sexual abuse on Oprah. One of the Oprah 200. My story is all too common and I am committed to spreading the word about healing and prevention as a facilitator with D2L.org.
- Recently presented a series of six portraits for the MUSC Pathology and other Departments that is chronicling the careers of these cutting edge scientists and physicians. He is working on commissions of top donors for hospitals and Universities.
- Appeared on NBC’s The Today Show in November 2008. where I presented a very special family portrait for a couple who had lost their three children to a drunk driver.
- In November 2007 I was the subject for a “High Profile” in the Post and Courier.
- Nationally recognized portrait artist, with work in over 950 private/public collections throughout North America.
- Relocated to Charleston in 2005. Now living/working in a beautiful studio in North Charleston, raising two teenage kids with his wife, Cate.
- Presented portrait of Andrea and Charles Volpe at the new Ashley River Hospital at MUSC in March 2009.
- Portrait of the late Jerry Zucker, which now hangs in the Hudsons Bay Company in Toronto, CA.
- Portrait of the late founder of Little Caesars Pizza and owner of the Tigers and the Red Wings, Mike Ilitch in 2008.
- I’ve been a professional artist, celebrating 40 years in 2019. I have learned a thing or two about how to juggle the artist and the businessman with family life.
- Proud to be a Lowcountry artist, specializing in paintings featuring Gulluh people and culture, in the context of the natural environment.
- My debut novel, “The Fishfly,” was published in 2005. It’s about a portrait artist turned hit man and deals thoughtfully with my being a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.
- “Point of Art: Second Edition“ an inspirational book about the creative process. A modern version of “Art Spirit” by Robert Henri.
- I teach painting workshops nationwide called The Power of Positive Painting©.
- Currently teaching classes in my studio and at CAMP in Mt Pleasant.
- Created one of the first instructional portrait painting videos back in 1995, called “The Power of Positive Painting.©”
- Presenting periodic Power of Positive Painting Workshops through the Charleston Artists Guild and the Gibbes Museum.
- In 2007 Lilliedale Publications released my new instructional DVD “The Portrait, a value-based painting system.”
- Have raised over $250,000 by donating portrait certificates to worthwhile charities.
- Former host of “Art Beat” on PBS in Detroit, a lively half-hour program, interviewing visual artists while they demonstrated their process. Was the highest rated local show on Detroit Public TV.
- Former owner of an eponymous “Brick and Morter” Maniscalco Gallery in Grosse Pointe, Michigan (near Detroit).
- Professional actor/singer in New York City for 8 years, completing acting training at Circle in the Square Theatre school in 1991. He continues his work in Charleston, having performed or directed in numerous productions.
- Read a 2012 interview with Cate Maniscalco.